How large is the surface to be floored?
The choice of tile size is usually established on the basis of the size of the floor being designed.
If the space is large, it is an excellent idea to alternate tiles of different shades and finishes, creating a kind of checkerboard effect, perhaps with two or three colours and two or three patterns. For example the marble-effect porcelain stoneware of the Tele di Marmo Selection can be used in all three of its colours to give the entire space an original look.
Meanwhile, when the floor surface is smaller one good idea is to use decors like the Elegance Pro mosaic, a texture consisting of small squares positioned one alongside the next which creates an optical effect that makes the floor appear bigger than it really is.
HOW SHOULD I LAY THE TILES?
Having established the dimensions and sizes of the tiles, all that’s left to do is lay them.
Emilgroup porcelain stoneware products offer a series of advantages that facilitate the tile-laying process.
1. Rectified Single Size: a mechanical procedure is used to square the edges and make the tiles the same size, installable with a minimum recommended joint of 2 mm, a smaller joint compared with non-rectified products that have natural borders. Emilgroup products are also grouped into lots on the basis of size in accordance with the tolerances established by the regulations, as tiles that emerge from the kiln can sometimes have slightly different sizes due to reasons connected with the manufacturing technologies.
2. The tolerance thresholds of Emilgroup products are higher than normal, making it possible to substantially reduce problems during the laying process.
3. The exceptional flatness of Emilgroup porcelain stoneware makes it possible to lay the tiles at any offset level as the products do not present any convex or concave irregularities.
What kind of maintenance will I have to carry out after laying?
Quick, thorough initial cleaning is of fundamental importance on all stoneware products; it is necessary to ensure easy subsequent daily cleaning. If this procedure is not carried out properly, permanent smearing may occur which makes it impossible to keep the coverings clean in spite of thorough routine cleaning. Especially for structured products, with noticeable relief patterns or anti-slip surfaces, washing must be carried out with the greatest care as soon as possible after installation.
Emilgroup products are of the utmost quality and comply with the main industry parameters in terms of chemical resistance to concentrated acids and alkalis and stain resistance, to guarantee their quality, safety and attractiveness over time.
Before washing with acid, excess grout should be removed with a sponge and water during the installation procedure. The washing operation should be tested on a spare tile before proceeding, especially in the case of semi-polished or polished products.
The surface must be washed thoroughly to remove cement and grout residues. For cement-based grouts, cleaning is recommended within no more than 48 hours. For grouts containing latex or epoxy resins, cleaning should be carried out very quickly, since the components are very difficult to remove once set.
The recommended products for this type of cleaning are acid-based.
To clean, proceed as follows:
1. Apply the acid product diluted in a 10-20% solution to the surface.
2. Wait 7-10 minutes
3. Clean with a vigorous scrubbing action. Use manual cleaning tools or appropriate floor cleaning appliances (floor cleaners fitted with white felt brushes are recommended; do not use black brushes which leave a carbon residue). Take care to clean the whole surface as evenly as possible.
4. Neutralise the acid solution by washing with plenty of water, hot if possible. Keep rinsing until all acid residue has been removed.
To aid in the initial acid cleaning operation, use of a special vacuum drier is recommended to prevent the water-acid solution from drying; if the solution dries to form a coating over the surface, the cleaning procedure will have failed. For structured products, with noticeable relief patterns or anti-slip surfaces, acid washing must be carried out as soon as possible after installation.
After installation and cleaning, it is essential to take special care to protect the floor to prevent damage during finishing works on the site. The entire surface should be covered with cardboard of suitable thickness.
28 April 2021